Tuesday 16 April 2013

This last week (WC: 8.4.13)…

I’ve been conscious that July and therefore the planned launch of my folksy store, is fast approaching, so since it’s been the school holidays, I’ve put some quality time into crossing some items off of Keflüti’s ‘To-Do’ List’.

Despite colours for Autumn 2013 having been released in February, I still haven’t fully decided upon a palette for that season’s range… nor have I sourced my fabric, therefore I took some time out to visit a fabric store in Walsall: ‘Hole in theWall’, as recommended by T’s Mum.

Fabric remnants from ‘Hole in the Wall’, Walsall.
Photograph originally uploaded by Abby Swanwick

Before I even set foot in store, I found these gorgeous remnants displayed outside… I’m hopeful that there’s enough fabric here to create four large totes!

Inside they have a great long room dedicated to rolls of clearance upholstery fabric, plus an entire floor full of various weights besides – and that’s not to mention the rooms containing this season’s stock.

The following day, I took a trip to compare these fabrics, colours and prices with that of Birmingham’s fabric stores.

I hadn’t been to Barry’s Fabrics in Digbeth before – oh what a treat! They’ve got just about any fabric imaginable and at very reasonable prices! I’ll definitely be going there for my lining fabrics… they’ve got everything from plain to patterns incorporating dots/stripes, flowers, or even campervans, in every weight/colour imaginable.

Lining fabric from ‘Barry’s Fabrics’, Birmingham
Photograph originally uploaded by Abby Swanwick

I must have been in there for over an hour, but I did come away with these beauties, which will go brilliantly with the upholstery fabric I bought from Walsall!

I still remain undecided about my Autumn palette, but I am closer to decided on fabrics and where to buy them.

Fabric remnants from a private supplier, lining from 'Abakhan', Manchester
Photograph originally uploaded by Abby Swanwick

This last week, I also took some time to experiment with some remnants I acquired from a private supplier of mine (a friend of a relative).

I’d had these pieces ear-marked for some time, but when I began work, the task in hand wasn’t quite as easy as I’d thought, due to the large pattern repeat. I’m used to working with plain fabrics, therefore I’d reckoned I’d achieve two large totes out of each of these offcuts, however the pattern on the fabric meant otherwise. It turned out I was trialing small totes earlier than I’d anticipated and I’ll actually only achieve one per piece.

Small tote
Photograph originally uploaded by Abby Swanwick

After many an hour deliberating, I think you’ll agree that this small patterned tote turned out nicely.

What’s more, I’ve started to knit again, after a four-month break. (Knitting 15 snoods at Christmas rather took it out of me!) I’m over half way through a gorgeous plum-coloured snood (similar shades to the tote above) and loving it!

Finally, it’s become apparent that it suits me better to blog over a weekend/Monday, whilst I’m at T’s and void of a sewing machine, rather than mid-week… so that’s my plan, we’ll see how it goes…

I think that’s all from me for now, thanks for dropping by – have a great week!

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment